Common Threads is a podcast about style that doesn’t sacrifice sustainability. We believe that fashion should respect both people and the planet, and we want to explore all the ways we can build a better industry, and talk to the people helping us get there.
Common Threads was set up in partnership with my friend and all-round ethical fashion expert, Ruth MacGilp. We go beyond hot button topics and PR-pedalling interviews, and instead dive deep into what really matters. From #PayUp to PPE, greenwashing to vintage, every week we chat about a different issue with a little help from a diverse range of guests.
Learn more about the key issues surrounding the ethical fashion conversation, always in an easy-to-digest format. We aren’t afraid to talk about our former fast fashion buying habits, and strive to challenge your perspective of sustainability through our wonderful guests. Whether you’re conscious style explorer or have a keen interest in sustainability, we hope to educate and entertain you through Common Threads!
Here’s the topics we’ve covered so far:
- Welcome to Common Threads: From Fast Fashion Addict to Conscious Consumer
- What the Hell is Ethical Fashion? The Glossary Episode
- #PayUp: Understanding the Cancelled Orders Crisis (Interview with Ayesha Barenblat from Remake)
- PPE, But Make it Fashion: Are Face Masks Ethical? (Interview with Holly Baxter-Weir from For the Love of Scrubs)
- What’s Next for Charity Shops after Covid-19? (Interview with Hannah Carter from Love Not Landfill)
- Greenwashing 101: How to See Through the BS
- Creating Through a Crisis: The Indie Fashion Labels Thriving in Lockdown (interviews with Rosette Ale from Revival LDN and knitwear designer Flora Collingwood-Norris)
- The Future of Fashion Week: Is the Catwalk Dead?
- The V word – Understanding Vegan Fashion (interview with Cat Anderson from Treen)
- Would You Rent Your Wardrobe? Exploring the End of Ownership and the Rental Revolution (interview with Eshita Kabra-Davies from By Rotation)
- Second Hand, Not Second Best: Meet a Depop Top Seller (interview with Lauranne Bourgeaux from 5th Season Vintage)
- How to be a Fashion Activist (interview with Mikaela Loach)
- Beyond Fashion Diversity: Why Representation Matters (interview with Ronke Fashola from Love Ur Look)
- This Old Thing: How Vintage Fashion Could Save the Planet (interviews with Lapoze MacTribouy from Sooki Sooki Vintage and Rachel Valentine from Strange Ray Vintage)
- Why its OK to be Imperfectly Ethical
Series two is coming October 2020. Follow Common Threads on Instagram for our updates!